more reflections from the conference

God has brought so much to mind since attending the conference this past week.  To read more please see my previous blog post.  I have found myself reflecting on so many phrases and thoughts.  Some disturbing, some encouraging, some down-right moving.  I thought I’d write about a few more here on my blog so you can partake of it as well!
One session was delivered by a woman named Stephanie Fast.  She is a woman adopted from Korea back sometime in the 60’s.  She shared so much of her life with us in just a few short moments.  For more information visit her ministries’ site, Loving Shepherd Ministries.  Her opening statement was this:  “There is no event in my life that I would be better without.”  After that the story that ensued was one of despair and suffering as she recounted her life as a child in Korea, wandering through villages alone, ostracized by everyone except sexual predators, and eating from garbage dumps.  If someone who has been through that still says the above statement, what is our excuse?
She also reflected on the “orphan spirit.”  In her words, just because a child is adopted doesn’t mean the orphan spirit is healed.  I have pondered on that one for quite a while.  This parallels so much with our lives as adopted children of God.  How many times do we pick back up our “orphan ways.”  Meaning, how many times in life do we lack the ability to trust the hand of God.  His good, loving and all providing nature never seems to be enough.  We worry, we hoard, we choose to make decisions without him daily.  The acts of an orphan who has not had the physical, emotional, and spiritual care of a family.  
God sees our future and our hope, not just our need.  He will keep on caring event in the midst of our doubt.  He is just that kind of God.  I am overwhelmed by His mercy.  I can’t wait to impart this type of love to a child who so desperately needs it.  May God grant me the stamina, strength, and heart to do it.
Please visit my Poetry page if you’d like to see something creative that came out of my conference visit!

Comments