mango chili

I decided to try out a recipe from a book I bought a LONG time ago.  Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker Recipes 2.  I USED to have cable television, and therefore could indulge in watching the FOOD Network, and yes I must admit, Sandra Lee was a guilty pleasure.  She is "every woman's" Martha Stewart.  Boasting on her trips to craft, and yes even the dollar store to create her fantastic "table scapes" to enhance her semi-homemade delicacies, she was one of my favorites.  

All this to say, I thought her slow cooker recipe book would be right up my alley.  I was flipping through while making my grocery list last week, and this (on the sweet side) chili sounded yummo - to borrow the cliche catch phrase of another FOOD Network diva...Rachael Ray.  Here's the recipe....I'll let you know if it tastes good or not.  Dan is my guinea pig this evening.  :)

Mango Chili (prep 5 minutes, cook on high 4 to 6 hours, servings 6)

Chunks of mango stand in for meat in a vegetarian four-bean chili that's an intriguing dance between sweet and spicy.  Mango nectar and rum provide the sweet, while mexican tomatoes, chili seasonings and a dash of curry add heat.

1 can (15 ounce) pinto beans
1 can (15 ounce) black beans
1 can (15 ounce) kidney beans
1 can (15 ounce) cannellini beans
2 cups frozen mango chunks
1 cans (10 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
1 packet (1.5 ounce) chili seasoning mix
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup mango nectar 
1/2 cup mango rum
sour cream for garnish
fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish

1. Combine all ingredients except sour cream and cilantro in a 4 quart slow cooker.  Stir thoroughly.
2. Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Serve hot, topped with sour cream and cilantro garnish.

Ok...so I'm a bit famous for substituting things, and I could not find mango nectar or mango rum so I used Mango Melon Zero Water for both 1/2 cups listed in the recipe. Cannellini beans are a bit hard to find in that average Minnesotan grocery, so I got a can of Northern Beans.  They are also white so it shouldn't matter too much.  I also substituted Mild Picante salsa for the 10 ounces of diced tomatoes.  It may end up a bit spicier, but my hubby won't complain.  We'll see about the water substitution.  It brought the chili to the consistency I'd rather see it, a little less thick than Sandra apparently likes it. 



Comments