a year of moments

This past year was filled with a LOT of amazing moments.  I thought it'd be cool, as have a lot of my bloggy friends, to post a "year in review" blog of sorts.

In January 2011, we had just recovered from a hectic Christmas season at church, RIGHT after returning from our first every trip to Africa.  We met Temesgen and cherish those first few moments soaking him in, because we had to leave him and it was excruciating.  I did have a really fun baby shower though...

On February 21, 2011 we PASSED COURT.  After 3 reschedules, we finally had all the papers, all the stamps, all the EVERYTHING needed to pass court in Ethiopia for our son.  What a day.  I also had the amazing opportunity to launch an orphan care/adoption ministry with my "girls" at church, and it has been absolutely beautiful to see what God is making of it.

In March we got the report from our Global Iniative at church.  Our body had raised $53,000 for 3 projects related to the plight of the orphan.  We were stunned, and completely blessed.

On April 6, we celebrated Tate's 1st birthday without him.  We had still not gotten a date for our Embassy appointment and were pretty disheartened.

In May we got our embassy clearance within a week of our appointment!  We packed in a flash and flew again to one of THE most beautiful countries in the world.  Tate Temesgen Leverence came HOME on May 20, 2011.  Praise God.  Dan turned 36 the very next day.  What a birthday gift!

June was a worldwind of 1st visits from almost our entire family.  What a blessing to have so many people waiting to love our son.  They came in turn and the time was very special and memorable.

July was a myriad of trips to the park, the beach, the front porch water tub, you name it.  So many outings to keep this little ball of energy busy.  Mom and Dad were tired all of the time, but so incredibly happy!

In August, Dan and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary, and the very 1st one with a child!  So sweet and so different.  I also signed up for a community choir experience that was a ton of fun and a great way to get out of the little "bubble" I've created for myself.

September brought on the joys of fall, and we baked 5 apple pies to freeze.  First attempt at something like that, and I remember thinking it was a very fun and romantic "at home" date with my hubby.  I think we still have one of the pies left.  MMMM....

In October we celebrated our first Halloween with Tate.  He was a skunk.  We called him our little "stinker."

November brought our annual trip to Michigan to visit family for Thanksgiving.  We always celebrate Christmas as well, and received many beautiful gifts for Tate.  He also took an unexpected ride down the stairs at Grandpa and Grandma Leverence's home and scared us to death.  No worse for the wear except a little crease in his forehead that the doctor tells us is a sub-dermal hematoma.  It may not ever completely go away.  I hope it does for his sake!

December 2011 was joyful.  We had a beautiful Concert for Christmas where Dan shared his heart for orphans during the CD release section of the concert.  My birthday came and went yet again, and I too completed 36 years on this planet.  Christmas was incredible.  We got up on Christmas Eve morning to eat our traditional breakfast, "pear breakfast bake" and then opened gifts.  We decided to it on Saturday as Christmas Day fell on Sunday and Dan was busy at church that morning.

Here we are in Janaury 2012.  What will this year bring us?  We don't really know, and frankly I'm glad.  I am often prone to worry and fear, so it's a blessing not to know.  I pray that it's a year that draws me closer to Jesus, my son, and my amazing husband.  There is a lot to learn and much to enjoy.  Happy New Year friends! :)  I'll leave you with this...


Comments

Post a Comment