498 A.D.



Contrary to what a lot of people say, Valentine's Day is not a Hallmark holiday. It's church sanctioned.  Well at least that's what the Huffington Post says...it was deemed a holiday on 498 A.D. by Pope Gelasius whereby the Catholic church acknowledges at least 3 different "saint martyrs" named Valentine or Valentinus.

Who knew? I didn't.

Well, we did not celebrate martyrs tonight, we celebrated our love by going out on a date, Tate - free. Our fantastic babysitter actually offered to watch Tate tonight, so we took him up on it, and Dan organized a progressive evening for me. Too sweet.

1. Dinner at Midtown Global Market.....our favorite Los Ocampos on the menu. MMMMmmm.

2. A walk thru our favorite Minnesota art venue, Minneapolis Institute of Art. They had a fun activity, offering a paper heart for you to place by your favorite piece. They were keeping a tally of which scultpure, painting, or art piece was "hearted" the most. Pretty fun, although my favorite piece was on loan to another museum. It forced me to choose something new. I placed my heart next to a Rembrandt etching Beggar Man with a Peg Leg. Sounds romantic right? Not. It just struck me emotionally, such detail, and drawn with a compassionate eye.

3. Dessert - Caribou "Berry White Mocha" for me, Culver's Concrete Mixer - Peanut butter with peanut butter cups mix-ins for Dan.

4. Conclusion, a trip to Walmart for some much needed Cover Girl for this girl.

The car ride home included a fabulous "Valentine's Day" argument....not about Valentine's Day, just an argument on Valentine's Day.  Typical married couple are we?  Yes, we are. It's ok, don't bereave, we made up. All is well.

Enjoy what's left of the evening little cherubs.

PS: You may have seen my status about giving up Facebook for Lent. (excluding Sundays) Look for a future blog post about that. It's already been quite painful. Perhaps it will lead to more introspective or witty blog posts. We will see. I will say it's already led to more constructive ways of spending my time.

Comments

  1. I'll miss you on FB. Your posts are always fun and interesting. I'm giving up procrastinating (God's idea). And I started a day late too. True. Karin G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect evening! I love stories of saints. Looking forward to the fb fast post. I really should follow suit. However, I think eating no dairy/eggs/animal products during Lent will actually be easier. (Which tells you how addicted I am to my phone. Eeek.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love Valentine's Day, and my most recent annual goal is to convince people to stop referring to it as a "Hallmark holiday." Thank you for noting that it truly is more than that. Even if it was a Hallmark holiday, who cares? Spoil the ones you love most anyway! Second, Eric took me on a progressive date like this years ago, and each place we went was tied to a specific memory from our dating years. Obviously, it has stuck with me as one of my favorite dates ever. Third, I smiled when I read that you argued on your date only because we also had a little dispute on our way home from our Valentine's date. :) We recovered quickly and laughed at ourselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about inspiring you to give up FB :-). The first week was really hard for me; I was REALLY missing the "adult interaction" throughout the day. But this week is going a lot better. I'm hardly thinking about it actually. Miss you guys! We should phone date soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment